We are all learning to deal with what’s called the “new normal”. Since the rise of Covid 19 in 2020 there have been mandatory closures of gyms, stay at home orders, curfews and tons of other things that can make it difficult to get your Muay Thai Training in during these unprecedented times.
So, how do you train during these times?
Well, there are several answers to this question depending on how you wish to go about it.
Some people want to stay at home and limit going out. They simply feel safer that way.
For these people the best option is online virtual classes. These are interactive classes with a live instructor that can be done from home. The only requirement is a space to do it in, an internet connection and a device such as a cell phone, tablet or laptop with a camera.
These classes are a great alternative as the instructors can see you and give you live feedback. You can see and interact with your instructor and classmates. It’s like being there without being there. If it is done professionally it can be a very fun, entertaining way of getting your training in!
Pros- Safest option, Easy to do, Interactive, Social connection without leaving home, great way to work on perfecting your technique!
Cons- Limited equipment use
Others want to get out of the house and get some social interaction even if they must keep a safe physical distance.
For those who want to get out of the house and be active there is a safe way to get your training in and limit your chances of exposure.
In a professional, quality Muay Thai academy they will have taken measures to ensure the safety of their members, staff and community!
Some of those measures should include:
1. All Staff should be tested for Covid 19
2. Temperature check at the door for all members and staff
3. Symptom questionnaire prior to entry of class
4. Mask requirement (we have been using them for quite a while now with no negative consequences)
5. Physical distancing requirements
6. Hand sanitizing stations
7. Thorough cleaning practices (although studies show it is not transmitted through contact it is always a good idea to have a clean environment).
8. One way in one way out traffic to avoid crowding.
Pros- Get to get out of the house, use all equipment and have live interaction with coaches and members.
Cons- Must wear a mask while training. We have been training with masks on since the beginning of the pandemic and have not experienced any serious concerns. It is, however, different if you are not used to it and can be uncomfortable at first.
What to avoid during these uncertain times when training Muay Thai Kickboxing-
1. Avoid feeling pressured to go into a class in person if you are not comfortable with it.
2. Avoid staying at home if you can attend a class where all safety measures are in place if you are comfortable doing so!
3. Avoid choosing NOT to continue or start your Muay Thai Kickboxing Training. You will ultimately feel better and be healthier! It is a fact that Covid 19 targets those who are weak, unhealthy or unfit.
4. Avoid going to ANY academy that does not have safety measures in place for their members and staff! It is simply irresponsible and can affect the lives of many in our community! If they are not being safe you are at SERIOUS RISK!
5. Avoid any academy that does not comply with the law. Laws are in place for a reason. That reason is usually to keep people safe.
By all means get your Muay Thai Kickboxing Training going or keep it going! It is proven that regular exercise improves your immune system and helps you fight against illness!
If you decide to train at home-
Look for an Academy that runs professional regularly scheduled Virtual classes that are interactive and fun!
If you decide to train in person-
Look for a facility that has implemented and is well versed in the measures needed to ensure your safety while training.
At Double Dose Muay Thai the Inland Empire’s Premier martial Arts Academy all of our staff has been trained to run professional fun exciting virtual classes. We realize that for some this is the best option and we want to provide top quality training for those people. Our staff has also received training directly from an epidemiologist and understands how the virus is transmitted as well as the practical safety measures to prevent it. We are exceeding all standards to ensure the safety of our members, staff and our community. We want each of our members, staff and community to be safe, healthy, strong and continue to move towards their goals regardless of the pandemic situation!